Thursday, March 11, 2010

End of Senior Design this term!

Or should I say "Senior Assumptions".

It seems that my final project as a Drexel chemical engineering senior is all about guessing the right answer. Guessing the pressure in the absorber tower, guessing the temperature of the reactor effluent, guessing what I think my design advisor is actually going to look at in our report. Is this what the rest of my engineering career is going to be like?? For all I know I've created a groundbreaking process. When in reality I probably just wiped out half a city with my chemical plant conditions. Or maybe this is what responsibility is like. For once I can't find the answers in the back of the textbook or wikipedia. It's a little unsettling.

Nevertheless, I think senior design is the best thing I've experienced in my Drexel academic life. I love my group, and I love being able to start from scratch and call the shots in an assignment. For the first time, Ive been able to incorporate my co-op experiences into my homework.
It feels good.

So, in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day coming up, I think I'll write a limerick about senior design.

When I met my senior design adviser
I looked at him as much wiser
But when we showed him our design
And only the cost was on his mind
I realized all engineers are misers!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment