Thursday, March 11, 2010

Perks of Commuting

"I can't stand Drexel/ Philly! I'm so tired of it."

These are words that have been uttered by a few friends of mine over the years in a general distaste for Drexel or Philly for those of my friends who go to Penn or Temple. And it's something I can never understand.

I like the vibe of Philly and feel that there are endless (well close to anyway) possibilities to have fun and discover new things. I love just walking arounf town and discovering new aspects of Philly I wouldn't have found otherwise.

As for Drexel, except for a slight mix-up in financial aid, I do enjoy being a Dragon and I've had a great time while I've been here. So why the discrepancy in opinion of the same location?

Partly, I believe is because my friends who complain live so close to campus and have been in West Philly their entire time at school. They don't really get away to take a break from things in their surroundings they don't like. I, on the otherhand, live in Northeast Philly about 20 minutes away by train. To some this seems like a lifetime away and I am continuously told how far away it is (which I don't think it is). And I will admit that when I first started commuting from there I couldn't stand it and it seemed like such a restructuring of my life. However, now I am beginning to see it as a way of taking a little break from Drexel and University City. I can go home and relax and not necessarily run into anyone from that area or have to think about anything relating to Drexel.

So this is one aspect of commuting that is positive.

What do you think? What are your experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment