Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Philadelphia Bike Lanes Become Parking Spots

With spring finally arriving after a long, snowy winter in Philadelphia it was nice to get out and bike around the city. However I was disappointed to see this while I was biking down Spruce Street in Center City Philadelphia:



The recent construction of these new bike lanes is considered a huge victory for the city's numerous bikers. I was very happy to see the city install the new lanes, and it certainly eased my rides on the terribly crowded streets of Center City. I want to say this is just the result of drivers not used to seeing many bikers braving the icy streets, but I've seen this before the snowfall as well. I hope that Philadelphia's drivers will respect bike lanes as more cyclists hit the road as the weather improves.

Remember, you can report any problems to the Philadelphia Police Department. You can find more information on the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia's website. You can also support commuters here at Drexel by joining the Drexel Commuter Organization (DCOM). Don't get pushed off the road.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment