Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Lone Dragon

I am very sad to say that on April 24, 2010 I lost my faith in my fellow Dragons. Two days before that on April 22 at 3:30 p.m. I was in Korman printing homework for my Advanced Journalism class. Everything related to Drexel and other important things of mine have their home on my black external hard drive. It's my baby and I take it everywhere...or so I thought.
Not until two hours later did I realize that I had let my baby attached to the Mac across from the help desk. Frantically I ran from Creese (where I had journeyed to by then) all the way back to Korman. I glanced at the Mac and it wasn't there. I asked the students working the desk if anyone had turned anything in and they said 'no'. Disheartened I went about my day and was hoping to be contacted soon. The next day I went back to Korman and posted a note at the computer asking if my baby had been seen.

However, on April 24 I still had not been contacted by a fellow student saying they had my baby. Usually after two days I would hear something (and yes I have forgotten my baby before). After checking at Korman again I felt compelled to file a police report (my first one ever). I was told by the kind officer that an investigator would be in touch.

April 27 rolled around and by then I was panicking. What on earth could this person want with my baby for so long? I called an investigator and relayed him my story. he promised to look at surveillence video and get back to me...he never did.

Again, I went back to Korman - this time armed with approved flyers (which you may have seen around campus) - and I talked to the staff. I stressed that three years of work was on it as well as personal information. One of the workers mentioned that he saw my baby on Thursday during his shift and that he had place it behind the desk. What an interesting development! He took my number and said he would let me know. Despite this glimmer of hope, by the next day I still had heard nothing. By now I had already broken down in tears once. To start EVERYTHING over again from scratch and have no record of all my hard work???

Still I perservered. I trudged back to Korman and spoke with the supervisor and relayed her the events until then. She said she would look everywhere and email the entire staff. Which she did. On April 29, a week after losing my baby, she emailed the entire Korman staff. I waited expectantly all day, but still no news.

Then on April 30 I received a call at 9:30 a.m. from the worker I spoke to on Tuesday and he told my baby had been found. I couldn't believe it! I arrived on campus by 11 a.m. went to Korman and the worker handed me my baby from the clear lost and found box they had behind the desk. I checked to make sure and everything was still on it.
Out of interest, I asked where my baby was found and was told it appeared in the one drawer overnight...

I don't know who decided to take my baby, what they did with her, or why they took so long to return it (last time I checked it takes a few minutes to copy files) but the worst week in my life ended with the return of my baby who will never again be left out of my sight.

But the fact remains that I now do not trust other students, especially in this particular building.
I advise you all to be very careful about where you might leave things. It may be inevitable that you forget something somewhere especially if you are stressed or distracted. Should this be the case and you really want to get your baby back, stop at nothing until you do.


I wish you safe travels on your paths through Drexel. Be careful of the flames.

- Nicolle

No comments:

Post a Comment